Open Eyes Mission was pioneered by Rev. Glimar “Glem” Melo in 1997. He left the United States and moved to Mindanao in southern Philippines in January 1998. At first, he served as a preacher-evangelist in Operation Blessing’s medical missions. Then in 1999, he started reaching Muslims and other unreached peoples in the border of Bukidnon and Lanao del Sur with the gospel of Jesus Christ in word and in deed.
Today, 21 years later, Open Eyes Mission has accomplished much by the grace of God.
- More than 3,000 disaster victims have been served through relief and recovery programs.
- More than 1,000 children-at-high-risk have been reached through Sidewalk Sunday Schools, personal visitation and feeding programs.
- More than 50 families have been helped through holistic development services.
- More than 1,500 pastors and leaders have been trained in Mindanao and all over the Philippines.
- Four (4) churches were planted in Roman Catholic areas.
- Two (2) church planting teams were deployed to Muslim areas.
- In partnership with the Asian Center for Missions (ACM), more than 150 Filipino missionaries were trained and more than 50 deployed to China, Pakistan, and other restricted-access countries in Asia.
- A house church was planted in a U.S. city, where 35,000 people live — Indians, Pakistanis, Afghans, Rohingyas, Syrians, Burmese, and other ethnicities.
- Churches are being served and formed in the Middle East.
Today, our teams continue to provide leadership, teaching, and ministry to two new church plants; mentoring to one new church planter; and classes on theology and ministry in four churches — three in the Philippines and one in Lebanon. And in key city-centers of the United States, we constantly engage in friendship-building, humanitarian-servanthood, prayer, evangelism, disciple-making, leadership development, and house-church-planting ministries among Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, and other unreached people groups (UPGs). Long-term, we aim to train missionaries whom God can use to multiply house churches that will reach Muslims and other UPGs all over the world.
Please help us reach more and more Muslims and other UPGs in Mindanao, other destitute areas in the Philippines, in the United States, and in the Middle East. Click here to get involved.