Almost 5 months after Tropical Storm Washi (local name Sendong) brought death and devastation in our region (Northern Mindanao), more than 100,000 people are still homeless. They live in evacuation centers (EC) and tent cities (TC).
For almost 5 months now, we have been serving, evangelizing and discipling children and families who are living in temporary shelters. With our partner churches, we are working in 5 sites, benefiting hundreds of IDPs (Internally Displaced Persons).
- Right after the flood, 3 families have been evacuated and stayed in our house.
- Twelve (12) families from the slums of Isla de Oro were served. Food, medicine, clothes and other relief goods were provided weekly.
- More than 50 persons (mostly children) with Leptospirosis were visited and served.
- Thirty seven (37) pastors and church leaders were trained in Child Friendly Space (CFS) Operation and Management and Protective Behavior for Children.
- Twenty seven (27) pastors and church leaders were trained in Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (DRRM) and Child Protection In Emergencies (CPIE).
- Psycho-social support sessions were conducted for 51 children at City Central evacuation center.
- Psycho-social support sessions were conducted for 60 high school and 12 college students at Pilgrim Christian College.
- Weekly recreational, psycho-social and spiritual development activities were conducted for 400 children at Calaanan Tent City.
- School supplies were distributed to over 700 children.
- Vitamins were distributed to 35 children.
Last month (April), by God’s grace, the mission took on an expanded and more intensive phase. Following were our accomplishments:
- Daily recreational and psycho-social activities were conducted for 30 + children at Macanhan EC.
- Weekly spiritual and psycho-social support activities were conducted in 5 sites:
- Calaanan TC 1 > More than 60 children
- Calaanan TC 2 > More than 60 children
- Calaanan TC 4 > More than 60 children > More than 60 parents
- Canitoan EC > More than 60 children > More than 60 parents
- Macanhan EC > More than 30 parents
- Three (3) small group Bible studies were started at Calaanan TC 4.
- Daily supply of medicine is provided for evacuees at the Macanhan EC.
- Sixty (60) water purifiers were distributed to families at the Macanhan EC.
- More than 200 stuff toys were distributed to children at Calaanan TC 4 and Macanhan EC.
- Three hundred (300) flashlights were distributed to families at the Calaanan TC 2 and 4.
- More than 600 school packs were distributed at the Calaanan TC 2 and 4.
- Weekly feeding is conducted for the 60 families at the Macanhan EC
- The establishment of small groups
- Deworming of children
- Distribution of vitamins for children
- Move children’s activities from TC 1 to the permanent housing site
Please remember to pray for us, especially for the victims-survivors. May the Holy Spirit sustain the faithful teaching and preaching of God’s word, and may He draw many to Christ, the only Savior.
Account Name: Open Eyes Mission
Account Number: 870055054
Bank Name: Banco De Oro Universal Bank
Branch: SM City Cagayan de Oro
Swift Code: BNORPHMM
Canned goods, clothes, toys, school supplies and other in-kind donations can be shipped to:
For more information about the grave devastations caused by Washi/Sendong and our “relief to rehabilitation to church planting” program for the victim-survivors, please read our Sendong Door ® page here.
Thank you very much.